Sunday, September 21, 2008

If the Savior Stood Beside Me...

I have been meaning to share this story for awhile. You all know how crazy Sunday morning can be, right? Well, this past February, my husband had the flu and I was trying to get all 4 kids out the door for church. My sister happened to be visiting, to pick up her husband after a tour in Iraq, and we were trying to get over to lodging to pick her up. I spent 20 frustrating minutes trying to convince Rebekah, my 4-year-old, that in order to put her dress over her head she would have to unbutton it. Bekah tried to prove me wrong, shrieking and crying the whole time. I must have said, "Can I help you? Will you let Mommy help you? Please let me do it!" about a million times. Okay, by the end I was screaming it! And I finally took matters into my own tentacles and yanked the dress on, pulled on the tights and got us all out the door. As we pulled up to pick up Trisa and her kids, the Primary music cd was playing the song "If the Savior Stood Beside Me". I briefly told Trisa about the fabulous mothering moment I had just had, and then I asked her,"Do you think if the Savior had been standing there that I still would have screamed at my daughter?" Without hesitation, she said, "Oh, yeah! I don't think it would matter! Especially if he was just standing there and not helping with the tights or anything!" I don't mean to be irreverent, and of course, Christ would never just stand there! I am sure He would have calmed Bekah down, and then calmed me down, and helped everyone get ready. I am just glad that my sister knew about Sunday morning madness, and how easy it is to lose perspective, because there is so much opposition, that even the presence of the Savior might not keep me from screaming so hard that my throat hurt! Maybe one day, I will actually get the hang of this mothering thing, but it's nice to know I have so many wonderful people to share the journey with! And a Savior who will not only forgive me for my impatience, but actually loves me in spite of it and will carry that burden for me if I can just give it up to Him.

So one more Sunday down, only 676 to go (until Bekah turns 18). Maybe by then, she will be dressing herself! Or, I could have become a calm person! Hmm...I wonder which will happen first!

3 comments:

Marianne said...

Oh Tami! I KNOW!!! I know the feeling in your throat after you've screamed so loud that it hurts, and I know that most of that pain is the tears of shame I'm fighting back! Not my proudest moments, to be sure. But we've been given these strong little spirits, and I think they'll be OK in spite of our powerful lungs!!! And I've thought about how I would act if the Savior stood beside me. I think I would just sit and cry, and let him take care of the kids. LOVE YOU!!!

Garrett, Jen and Kids said...

Your sister is so wise! I would have sat around feeling guilty and awarding myself the mother of the year award! You are a great mom. Sunday mornings are not fun. I love that song. I think it is my favorite one in the program!

Laurie said...

That story is hilarious even the second time around. You're a wonderful mom, especially because you're a what? That's right. A trooper. Just hang in there!

:)