Tuesday, September 9, 2008

So, what do you do all day?

How many of us have been asked this question by our kids, our spouse, or women who are either newlyweds and have no children, or work outside the home? I thought I would keep track of what I did today. Sorry for the tedious detail, but I am sure someday I will enjoy finding out what I did with my time!



5:06 am--alarm goes off, brush teeth and go potty

5:07 am--wake up Andy for seminary

5:10 am--stumble around kitchen finding breakfast stuff

5:15 am--start cupcakes for Ellie's birthday treat today

5:25 am--put in first batch of cupcakes

5:30 am--check email

5:35 am--start checking out the front door to see if Andy's ride is here

5:36 am --doublecheck that he has all his soccer gear

5:37 am--panic that he might forget his wallet and not be able to eat lunch; he confirms that he has his wallet

5:39 am--look out door

5:40 am--look out door, tell Andy his ride is here

5:45 am--start second batch of cupcakes, finish up with computer stuff

6:00 am--make eggs and toast, for me with a big Diet Dr. Pepper, eat while loading my brand new iPod shuffle with songs (I got a new one for our anniversary to replace the old one I lost this summer; I told V. it would last much longer than flowers!) so I can start running again today

6:15 am-- go out to car to get Ellie's presents from hiding place

6:20 am-- go upstairs to wrap one present, run right into Ellie; she goes back to her room so we can come in and sing to her

6:30 am--gather the other girls and Vaughn and go in and sing Happy Birthday to Ellie

6:45 am--get girls dressed (this means I negotiate for about 10min with Bekah about what she wants to wear--usually it is something that isn't clean or we can't find)

7 am--downstairs for breakfast, we all are dressed at this point, something of a miracle

7-7:30 am--make lunch, nag at the girls, check backpacks, nag at the girls, do everyone's hair and teeth, nag at them to put on shoes

7:29 am--realize that the kids have ortho appts today and that I can't go to the gym

7:30-7:40 am--get all the girls in the car (yes it really takes us ten minutes to get in the car!)

7:45 am--drop off Rachel

7:55 am--drop off Ellie

8:10 am-- arrive at Bekah's school, spend a few minutes reading while waiting for school to start

8:30 am--drop off Bekah

8:45 am--arrive home and collapse onto my bed, since I don't have time to go to the gym, I might as well catch a few zzzs

9:44 am--wake up and go to PX

10:25 am--pick up Rachel for ortho

10:40 am--pick up Andy for ortho

11:00 am--drop off kids and go to Sonic for a diet Coke with lime and 4 motrin for my splitting headache

11:20 am--pick up Bekah

11:30 am--back to Ortho to pick up kids, wait for Andy until 11:45

12:00 pm--Wendy's for lunch

12:30 pm--drop off Andy, Rachel

1:00 pm--frost cupcakes, start cake

1:10 pm--listen to messages, Rachel has her first soccer practice tonight at 6pm.

1:30 pm--put cake in oven, walk to Ellie's school and drop off cupcakes

2:00 pm--come home and blog so I won't forget what I did today

2:15 pm--take out cake, clean up kitchen

2:15-3:00 pm--wrap presents with Bekah and try to finish mini-scrapbook for Ellie


3:00 pm--go to commissary for dinner stuff


3:30 pm--home to open presents with Ellie and get ready for Andy's soccer game


4:00 pm--herd the cats for the soccer game


4:30-6:00 pm--watch Andy's game. He does great; has several shots, but doesn't score.


5:55 pm--try to restrain husband from climbing over fence and onto the field when Andy drives in for a shot and the goalie takes him down with his elbow to Andy's jaw. I thought Vaughn was going to have an aneurysm!


6:00 pm--take Rachel to her practice at the next field over, take Andy home


6:30 pm--come home to a naughty dog who got into the garbage! start dinner, frost cake


7:00 pm--steaks on grill, Ellie's favorite! Her favorite foods are tomatoes and steak!


7:30 pm--dinner


7:45 pm--scriptures


8:00 pm--cake and ice cream


8:10 pm--bath and pjs for me... why am I so tired?



What I learned from this:


I am grateful that I have a car to drive everyone around to their activities. I am grateful that I have children to wake up and celebrate birthdays with. I am grateful that we have the means to have them involved in activities they enjoy. I am grateful that I have so much food to eat that I am chubby enough that I need to exercise. I am grateful that someday my children will have straight teeth. I am grateful that my husband has a job right now that allows him to come to some of our kids' activities, even if I need to feed him Alka-seltzer afterward. I am grateful that we are all trying to live our lives to the fullest, and that I can be a stay-at-home mom. Although, was I even home today? :)

5 comments:

Marianne said...

Honestly!! I don't know why you're tired or why you have a headache!!!! You truly amaze me with all the things you get done. If I could be home at all during the day, I'm sure it would take me at least 3 hours to get dressed!! Fun post! P.S. Happy Birthday, Ellie Girl!! XOXO

Melody said...

That was a fun post, Tami! And I totally laughed about being a stay-at-home mom, because you were everywhere except home all day!

Strommer Family said...

Hilarious run-down of a normal SAHM's activities!!!! You're awesome and super mom though so keep it up and one of these days, believe it or not you'll miss these times!! No really you will!! ;)

Lainie said...

OK - I'm ready for bed just reading it all. I'm so glad I don't have seminary kids yet. I can't fathom waking up at the 5 o'clockish hour. YIKES! You really are super mom!! LOVE YOU TAMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garrett, Jen and Kids said...

You are incredible! Wish I had half the engergy you have! Someday we might look back and wish we had the kiddos to keep us entertained!