Friday, December 28, 2012

Missionary Stocking Tutorial

 I wanted to make Andy a cute missionary stocking for Christmas, and I found a link here where you can order a stocking pattern.  But let's face it, you already know I am lazy, and it was already November.  So I went to Hobby Lobby and found two black satin stockings.  ( I try to do doubles of everything so the comp. gets to share in the joy!)  I just used this as a base and for the "slacks" portion of the stocking.  Next, I traced the upper area of the stocking onto the back of some sticky back white felt (with the paper still on!)  I cut it out and stuck it on.  Then I sketched a collar template, don't forget to do one in reverse, and cut two of those.  Then I followed with a small pocket, which was just basically a small rectangle.  I would put my templates on here, but I know everyone will find different stockings, so just using 
your own as a pattern is the best idea, I think. 
  I also hot glued some buttons on the collar and down the shirt front.  The next detail I added was a belt.  Again, I just traced the width of the stocking and made a strip about an inch tall.  This was also cut from sticky back felt.  I stuck it on, then cut a small rectangle out of yellow felt, which I hot glued, and then topped with an even smaller rectangle of brown.  I added a little sliver of yellow to be the tongue of the belt.  Wait, is that what it's called?  Anyway, that pokey thing that goes through the belt holes.
That one.
It's just a sliver of yellow felt.  


On to the tie!  I first had my husband tie some ties for me out of wide ribbon.  But they wouldn't lay right, or stay tied, and finally, I got the genius idea of just pinching the tie where I wanted the knot to be and pleating it a little with my fingers and gluing it.  Then, I wrapped that portion with a smooth piece of ribbon, shaped it into a triangle, and glued that.  Then the whole shebang gets glued onto the stocking.  I did leave the lower part of the tie unattached, because I thought it looked cuter that way.  Do it however your heart desires!  

I found a download for the tag here.  I just inserted into a powerpoint slide and put in the names myself.  Then printed and laminated them.  I don't know how well they stayed on, I will have to ask my son, but I did try to glue them on there pretty well.  

Hope this inspires you to send some joy to your missionary!  And since Rachel wants to go as soon as Andy comes home, I am sure I will be coming up with a sister missionary stocking!

Linking this up on or so she says...

4 comments:

Marianne said...

THAT IS SO AWESOME!!! Love it. I bet they did, too!

Mariel said...

These are awesome! I would love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there!

Mariel said...

Sorry - forget the address: www.oneshetwoshe.com

Tami said...

Thanks Mariel! Love your blog!