Thursday, September 11, 2008

Bittersweet memories

Seven years ago, today, I was awakened by the hungry cries of our new baby girl. We had just brought her home from the hospital the night before. I picked her up, took her downstairs, and we settled on the couch for her feeding. I turned on the tv, thinking I would just watch an infomercial. The first tower had just been hit and the news commentators were trying to find out how an airplane could have not seen the building. They still thought it was an accident. A few minutes later, I saw the second plane hit and all of a sudden the world had changed. I watched this horrible attack on our country and felt a wordless grief for all of those people and their families. On the other hand, I was holding this sweet, new life in my arms and I was so happy to have her with us. I don't think I will ever forget that moment: I knew in an instant how fragile our lives are, and yet, I wanted my daughter to embrace and love this world.

This morning, I was driving home from the preschool run, when I passed all the elementary kids doing their "Freedom Walk". I think a lot of them weren't born when 9/11 happened, and most of them certainly won't have any memories, but they are more patriotic than a lot of the country. They watch their dads and moms, and sometimes both parents, go off to fight for the freedoms that we enjoy, and to fight for other people to have some of those freedoms. They spend a lot of birthdays, holidays, and school activities with just one parent. I am amazed at the sacrifices that military families everywhere make everyday. I know that we are one of them, but I feel like our contributions have been so small compared to most of the people we live around. I have a lot of hope for the future because of these amazing people around us. Thanks to all of you for what you do, everyday, just because you know it's the right thing to do!

I hope you take a minute today and think about what really matters, love, life, and family, and the freedom to enjoy them.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

Thanks Tami. Just so you know, we appreciate what your family does and the sacrifices you have made and will probably continue to make for us!!

Laurie said...

Poignant thoughts, Tam. I can vividly remember that morning too. And thank you too for your family's willingness to do what you do for the sake of others.